Thursday, November 12, 2009

think (without) thumbs

So yesterday I lost my phone. I had forgotten it in my dorm room, but didn't know that until I found it much later. I left the dorm to go to class without my phone. I felt lost. I didn't know what to do without it. The world today revolves around media and constant communication with others so much, that we forget what it is like to be without what we are blessed with.
I heard recently that the generation following the X generation is the "thumb" generation, since everyone from the ages of 7-12 (roughly), is constantly using their thumbs on some type of electronic.
When I left for class, the next few hours without my phone was a crisis. I just didn't know what to do without it. We are so dependent on our phones that when we don't have them with us, we are distraught. It's as if the cellular phone has become apart of our arm, always connected to our hands. iPhones and Blackberry's rule the nation. They are everywhere we look; and as soon as that arm attachment (of which it was so highly important to tell that special someone "lol :)") leaves us, even if it's just a few hours, we don't know what to do.
What if it was that way for Christians and God. Shouldn't God be what is constantly attached to us? What if prayer was our "arm attachment"? If prayer was taken away from us for a few hours, would we be as distraught or unglued?
Maybe we should start thinking about what really is important, rather than thinking with our thumbs. Think about that the next time you attach your arm attachment and txt "lol :)", cause now that I have my phone back I definitely will do the same.

Peace and Love from up above,

Litz

No comments:

Post a Comment